Jun 3, 2016

Storming the Castle

You might have seen some activity on my Facebook and Twitter feeds this past week, where I refer to "storming the castle." I thought it'd be nice to give some background to this.

As I'm sure most people will have guessed, "storming the castle" is a reference to one of the greatest movies ever made, The Princess Bride.


Way back when I was still working away on Locked Within, I reconnected, over Facebook, with an old friend from college, Ash, who is also a writer. It’s safe to say she’s one of my best friends, and we’ve supported each other through all the trials and tribulations that come with balancing writing with day jobs and, eventually, parenthood.

One day, I spotted she was talking about her work-in-progress, getting to the end of the book. She posted she was “Having fun storming the castle.” Being the shameless geek I am, I commented with the follow-up line “Do you think it’ll work?” Not missing a beat, she came right back with “It’ll take a miracle.”

Since then, it’s been a tradition of ours, when coming up to something big, to repeat that exchange. “Storming the castle” is now how I mark the moment when I start writing the climax of a novel, and without fail, Ash will be there to ask “Do you think it’ll work?”

The other day, I stormed the castle and finished the first draft of Blackened Wings

So here’s to storming the castle, and all the challenges we have yet to face. 

Do any of you have any similar traditions to mark the completion of large tasks?

No comments:

Post a Comment